An unusual and interesting vehicle has recently gone on loan to Bressingham Steam Museum in Norfolk. Owned by the Southern Counties Historic Vehicle Preservation Trust it is an early motorised refuse collection cart.
It has tiller steering and a side loading 7 cubic yard capacity and was built by Shelvoke and Drewery Ltd. of Letchworth in 1934. The vehicle was supplied new to the old Epsom Urban District Council but carried the name of ‘Epsom and Ewell Urban District Council’ in anticipation of a boundary change, which took place later that year. It was withdrawn from service in 1957 after having served as a reserve vehicle for some years. At this time it was known to be one of the last surviving vehicles of this type in the country. Mr Colin Cobbett, the borough engineer arranged for it to be preserved in the hope of a restoration to originality, which has now been completed.
The dustcart has a further claim to fame and a connection with Bressingham’s own ‘Dad’s Army’ display, as it featured in the 1971 film deriving from the popular TV series.